I’m not one for the whole “you must do these things to live a better life.” But I was thinking recently that I have learned a lot in my years on this planet. I try very hard to be a good person every day. Simple things can lead to that. Some of these things I’ve learned, some I’ve been taught. Growing up in an Irish family, we learned a lot by watching and seeing how the elders in the family treated others. I subscribe to the ‘treat others as you’d like to be treated’ – aspect of things. Unless you wrong me and betray my trust, then the Leo and Irish comes out and Lord have mercy on your soul.
In no particular order, here are the things I live by and try to do each day;
- Take small steps. They all add up and can get you to your goals. Sometimes it’s easier to take smaller steps instead of trying to leapfrog to the front.
- Hold the door for people, especially ladies and the elderly. You can light up someone’s day by this simple act.
- Read. Doesn’t matter if it’s a story on Harry Styles or a book. Reading does wonders for your brain.
- Challenge yourself to do something. Want to write a book? Want to learn a new language? Nothing holding you back but air and opportunity.
- Believe in yourself. Don’t worry about what the neighbors do. Stop comparing yourself to others. You got this!
- Learn from the past, but don’t dwell in “what ifs”…man, this is hard for me, I have to work at it every day.
- Get up every time you fall(fail). I love that line from Batman when Alfred tells him that “we fall so we learn how to get up.”
- Just because you don’t like the fact(s), stop arguing with them. A lot of people in this country need to learn this.
- You can feel good by doing good. End of.
- Pick up trash whenever you see it and dispose of it properly. What someone does with trash tells a lot about a person.
- Do the absolute best job you can no matter what it is. You work at a deli? Good, make the best damn sandwich ever..every single time.
- Take a moment, walk outside, close your eyes and just breathe.
- Keep your mind open to learning. I tell my boys this all the time. Opportunity is everywhere. It’s having the mindset to be able to learn from it, good or bad.
- Cut toxicity out of your life regardless of what it or who it is. That crap will eat you up.
- GO TO SLEEP. Turn off the screens. Life will still be there tomorrow.
- Stop reading and watching the news. Too much negativity nowadays.
- Reread your favorite books. You may have missed something the first time.
- Favor obstacles; these lead to opportunities.
- Live by the four Stoic virtues: wisdom, justice, courage, and moderation.
- Concentrate on what you can control.
- Be kind to everyone. You don’t know what that person is going through or what their lives are like.
- If a child or anyone smiles at you, smile back.
- If a child hands you their toy phone to answer, you answer it.
- If someone drops something, pick it up for them.
- Never forget where you come from. Ever.
I hope these help you in some way. Take what you will from them. Read it, learn it, live it.